Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Advice on Central machinery wood lathe

"caaron" wrote in message
I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small for
me. The reason I asked about the Harbor Freight lathe was that it is full
size, low priced, and I had heard of several turners who bought it and were
very happy with it.

Hope you own a bandsaw. That low end speed can be a challenge at capacity.
You'll want as well-balanced a blank as possible to start with. Means
circular, and nibble those triangles off the ends to get the CG as close to
possible to the center of rotation.

I am a believer in pin chucks and/or pin jaws because they are very secure
in their resistance to fly-away.