Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

Default Advice on Central machinery wood lathe

Chuck,

The Jet mini is a great lathe. You would be very pleased with the fit and
finish. Everything works smoothly. I don't get this feeling from the Central
Mach. lathes. I think you would be happy with a better quality lathe like
the Jet with good resale value if you ever want to move up. The chuck it
comes with from Woodcraft is a very nice little chuck. The combination makes
it a great value.

Have fun,

AZCRAIG

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"caaron" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to purchase my first wood lathe, and I wanted to see if
anyone had any experience with or opinions about the Central Machinery
wood lathe from Harbor Freight. From what I've read, this is a Chinese
copy of the Jet 1236:

12'' x 33-3/8'' WOOD LATHE WITH REVERSIBLE HEAD Pivoting headstock for
extra-large bowl turning capacity. Headstock rotates and locks in position
at 45°, 90°, 135°, and 180°. Includes stand, tool rest, drive center, 6''
disc, and Allen wrenches.
a.. Swing over bed: 12''
b.. Motor: 3/4 HP, 120V, 60 Hz
c.. Speeds: 600, 750, 910, 1080, 1260, 1460, 1680, 1910, 2150, and 2400
RPM
d.. Turning distance between centers: 33-3/8"
e.. CSA listed
Shipping weight: 184 lbs.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck