Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Default Ideas for cheap bar height table and stools?

wrote in message
I'm looking for a CHEAP out of box way to make some
standing bar height table and stools

That would depend upon what you consider "cheap"...

Table needs to be at least 36" tall and taller is
better.... say 40"

I could use fiber barrels I supposes. Spray paint them
white.

Depending upon the size, those were around $40-50... That just gives you the
base for the table... You still need the table top...

Maybe make the pedestals out of CMUs filled with concrete? Two CMUs across
will give you a column 16"x16" and 5 rows up will give you 40 inches in
height... 10 CMUs per pedestal at around $1.20 each -- $12... One 80-lb bag
of concrete will fill 3 CMUs and at around $3 per bag, you're looking at an
additional $10... Another $3 for rebar and you're looking at a total of
around $25 per pedestal... You're looking at a pedestal that will weigh
around 300 lbs, so it's not going to walk off by itself that easily... The
table tops can be made round or square and put on a single pedestal, or
rectangular and put on two pedestals... If you want to make the pedestals a
bit more fancy, cover them with tile, slate, or something else... The major
advantage of concrete would be that you wouldn't have to worry about it
disintergrating after getting wet like what might happen with some of the
fiber and particle board solutions...

The same type of thing could be used for seating surfaces... Shorter
pedestals with a short bench top across them... If you're going to be moving
them around though, you'll definitely want one of the 2-wheeled hand
trucks...

I bought this one from Home Depot... It's rated for 800 lbs and I used it
for moving varios things, including my dog's 300 lb water 'dish'...
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...72605028_4.jpg