Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SMART & BROWN 1024 - should I purchase?!

Hi Scott,

The Smart & Brown 1024 is a truly beautiful machine. Spares are readily
available, just do a search for smart brown 1024 spares.
G and M Tools and Bracehand (both in the UK) carry lots parts,
both new and used. There is also a Yahoo group and here's a pointer
to a thread with scanned images of the users manual:

http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/SMA...structions.pdf
http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/Sma...res-Manual.pdf

I'm completely in love with my 1024, it looks great, feels great and
performs great. It's my favourite machine tool and with the added
Mitutoyo DRO and electronic speed control is, IMHO, hard to beat.

One thing you might like to check; it has a quirky oil pump system
that has a sight glass for verifying oil flow. This window doesn't
actually verify oil flow 100%, so you need to check that all drip
points actually work when the lathe is running. Just remove the
headstock cover and run the lathe slowly, every lubrication point
should drip.

I kind of like the idea of a sight glass which seems to have
almost nothing to do with actual oil flow

So it's thumbs up!

Cheers,
Harri