Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default electric motor forward/reverse wiring?

"Jean-Paul Roy" wrote in message

Could you show us your findings?

Jean-Paul

yes, thanks for your interest Jean-Paul. i wanted to post a drawing asking
for advise as to whether or not i wired it correctly. i made a drawing and
uploaded it to...

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/fwd-rvse.jpg

first i wired up the drum switch only just to the 4 wires coming from the
motor, i didn't hook the wires up to the pins inside the motor. got a
"hum/buzz" sound, obviously something wrong. gambled that i needed to hook
the "hot" and "neutral" wires up to their respective pins (white-4
orange-1). i did that and it ran, whew, wow, yay!

my concern now is that because i didn't hook up the red and black wire to
any of the pins i'm doing something wrong and either will burn up the motor
or it won't generate it's rated horsepower.

can anyone confirm that i did the wiring correctly? as far as i can see
none of the wires have any numbers printed on them or little numbered tags,
etc. (i've seen this in other electric motors).

thanks.

(it does run forward and reverse and it *sounds* ok, but i'm no expert at
all.)

b.w.

(oh, trying to hook it up to 220 totally boggled my mind, i gave up on 220
and went with the 110.)
(even after reading the excellent information in the link provided by Glenn
i was still unable to figure out how to wire it up to 220.)