Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default Grounding TV antenna tower

wrote:
How would one make any part of the tower higher than the antenna? When
a rotor is used, which I need to use due to the distance involved,
there is no feasable way of having any rod stick higher than the
antenna. Also, if grounding the tower makes it more attractive to
lightning, why are tv antennas on roof tripods usually grounded? Thanks

Like I said because if lightning does strike you want it to seek ground
by following a path OUTSIDE of your house. Without grounding the
antenna properly through a path outside of yoru house, if lightning does
strike it, it will ground itself through a path within your house which
may significantly more hazardous to your health.

grounding the tower can also make it less likely to endure a direct
blast if it is able to dissipate enough energy before it can build up.
A lightning rods true purpose is to leak energy to prevent the massive
burst of energy that comes with a direct strike.

As for making the tower higher than the antenna, you gotta do what you
gotta do...

--
Thank you,