Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default hanging things on siding

z wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

z wrote:

I got one of those plastic outdoor sinks; I imagine it will end up
being too heavy to just hang off the vinyl siding, so I assume I need
to drive some long screws into the underlying side of the house. I have
no idea what's under the siding. Is it worth a shot, or should I do
exploratory surgery first?

Gees, will people never stop conjuring stupid
ideas. Why would anyone ever hang anything on the
house siding? Oh, I know, just forget the purpose
of the siding and since it is a big more or less
flat surface attach something to it.

Put a couple of post down, and hang the sink on
them instead of puncturing your siding and who
knows what else.

Trouble is that side of the house is all patio, so posts would be a
problem. I thought of stacking some cinderblocks against the wall and
hanging it off them, but I don't know how stable that would be.

In that case I would forget the "hanging" part and
just use a cabinet (hang it in a cabinet), which
is just a box and store stuff in the bottom.