Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Default How to stain red oak to look slightly yellow

Patriarch wrote:

I read what the other fellows said, and don't necessarily agree.

Red oak turns 'golden' when oiled, or shellaced or varnished. I don't know
the exact chemical or physical reasons, but there is a marked change.

Take some of your scrap, and try out a few of the uncolored finishes on
your shelf on various pieces, and see if you don't get close to what's on
your cabinets.

I'll make that two!

My entire house is red oak flooring, trim, and doors, installed and
finished by me. It's a warm, rich, very gold color.

All of my flooring is simply (3) coats of McCloskey Gym Seal clear
oil-based varnish. Most oil varnishes and varnish blends, including
Waterlox Original, would give the same effect.

A light rub down, NOT a soaking, with boiled linseed oil (from any
hardware or paint store) would add also add a golden color under other
finishes.

Commercially made Red Oak cabinetry is very commonly rubbed with BLO,
sealed with a sanding sealer and sprayed with lacquer.

I doubt stain is necessary.

Barry