Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Starrin

Default Blower Motor Failure

On 29 Mar 2006 07:36:31 -0800, "
wrote:

Question for Roy: Did Mr. Trane test CFM differently and is there a
more through test for the duct sizing issue? And what was the final
diagnosis of your problem?

Duct sizing can be an issue, but for now I am letting it go to see how
it works out. What he had was better equipment to test out what the
elctronic circuits were seeing/doing, as I understand it. But, it was
still a real problem to trouble shoot, because it appeared to go away
(at least it was quiet, though it was still not operating properly)
during the first summer. Also, there was one jumper out of place
because the only accurate instructions for connecting in this
instance were in the pamphlet for installing the outside unit.
(Whenever I have anyone installing anything in my home, I have them
give me every piece of paper that comes with it.)
On my 16i, which is the only Trane system I have any knowledge on, if
one removed the side covers on the air handler one could get RPM by
watching the blinking green light (Since it is a fault light, were I
building the unit, it would be readable with covers in place). It was
obvious the unit was way overspeed, regardless of the dip switch
settings. After several attempts, it turned out that the cable
connecting the circuit board and the blower/thermostat had a bad lead
in it. Cable replaced. Problem went away.
Sort of. In the summer with the A/C in use, one cannot tell the sytem
is even operating. In the winter the sytem is set to off at night.
So in the morning it slowly ramps up as it attempts to reach the
desired temp by the desired time. If it gets behind, it blows like
hell and is a bit noisy, but still not as noisy as it was when running
at max speed before it was fixed. (I also have hot water baseboard
heat, and if there is a big differencebetween inside actual/desired,
the outside temp is below freezing, or not forecast to rise above 40,
I use it to assist, or to take over the entire load. Of interest, I
burned 50 gallons of oil from fill in October to fill on Feb, here in
VA, and my electric bill went down a bit. from last year)
If you want to labor through all that was discussed, the discussion
is he
http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=88449
along with the previous discussion that led up to it:
http://HVAC-Talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=64042
I found a great bunch of guys here. One even called my from TX to
discuss it.