Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default Boilers at B and Q

.. wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
. wrote:
Owain wrote:
JavaEnquirer wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as ?4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack

The problem doing it this way would be if something goes wrong and
the plumber says it's a boiler fault and B&Q say it's the plumber's
fault.

a plumber honest enough to point the OP towards a heat pack
from B&Q is unlikely to lie about a faulty part. (yoda)

Wheras B&Q never lie, and are complete experts on plumbing, able to
assess, simply on looking at you, if it's been installed correctly.

the same can be said for any of the merchants/suppliers I've used
but, ateotd, a defective part is a defective part. (me)

The problem is not that B&Q, or the plumber are dishonest.
The problem is that if it goes wrong, there is no clear liable party.

If you hand the plumber the money, and say "build me a central heating
system", then it's entirely his problem if it doesn't work.
If his suppliers claim that the heating doesn't work properly due to his
installation, that's his responsability.
If you buy the bits, and hand it to him, it can end up with no clear
responsibility on who should get your heating working.