Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
rob

Default what to do about cracks in stucco?

I have many hairline and more than hairline cracks (width of a dollar
bill) in my 18 month old stucco over wood frame addition. Stucco was
painted with a masonry paint. Cracks are horizontal at 24" o.c. and
general alligator cracking. Cracks not due to movement (per structural
engineer). Seemingly due to water infiltration (this will be corrected
in spring) and bad stucco job-lath put on too tight, wrong sand was
used in mix, only 2 thick layers that were put on??? A different mason
looked at work and said it was horrible. What to do? I see my
options as paint with elastomeric paint (I don't want to do as I want
stucco to breathe), re-wire and restucco (expensive), caulk cracks and
repaint (will look awful-so many cracks) or just leave it (will water
come in? cause mold etc?). Any suggestions?