Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

Default Mower won't shut off

When you release the handle on a push mower, two things are supposed to
happen. (1) The ign. wire is purposely shorted out and the motor dies. (2)
The brake on the flywheel is applied.
My experience has shown that changes to adjustments, very rarely occur all
of a sudden, rather the are the result of someone changing the settings. The
most likely culprit is the mechanism at the end of you cable that is
supposed to do both of the above. Check to see that there is no rust or
corrosion on the flywheel brake and that the shut-off switch is closing all
the way when the handle is released. The contacts of the shut-off switch
should also be cleaned to insure good connection.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Toro Super Recycler with the B&S 6hp GTS5 engine that I have
seen discussed here before. My problem is not starting the engine,
rather stopping it. Mine is the push model and when I let go of the
handle, the engine and more seriously, the blade, continue to run. If
I reach down to the right side and "squeeze" the linkage together, I
can kill the engine.

I have removed and lubed the cable but that is not the problem as there
is no tension at all when the handle is released. Is there some
limiter screw I neeed to adjust to get this engine killed?