Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT

Default How are chuck keys sized

In article ,
says...

I decided to get a new chuck key for my DP and, not knowing any better, went
to the Enco site. Well, I didn't buy my DP or its chuck from Enco so I
can't match any of their letter-sizes to what I have.

What is the normal method for specifying a chuck key size? Isn't it the
diameter of the pilot hole?

Good luck. They generally get listed by just a part number. Variables are the
pilot size, number of teeth and gear diameter. I have an imported chuck in my
lathe that is fine, but the pilot on the supplied key is a bit undersized, so
it makes it hard to get good torque on the chuck.

I went around at work and tried every chuck key I could find, quite a few, and
nothing fit. Also ran it by the guys at Production Tool (I live nearby). If the
pilot was right, the gears were wrong, and vise versa.

I did a web search and never did find a cross reference chart that listed
anything other than just the part numbers, Jacob vs DeWalt, or whatever. Lemme
know if you find a chart with sizes :-)

Dennis