Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Difference between Rubbing Alcohol and Bleach for cleaning?

wrote:
Alcohol is a solvent and not as reactive with materials as bleach,
which is a strong oxidizer. Both have the capability to kill many
bacteria, though I think concentrated bleach is more effective. It's
certainly more cost effective too for cleaning large area, like
basement mold, as it can be diluted a lot and still be effective.

hmmm sounds like bleach is both stronger and cheaper.

but one thing is...Im concerned if I use bleach (even if I dilute it)
it will leave residue, so when I hit someone with the gloves, or use
the pads, etc...it will sting the eyes.

If you're talking about cleaning gym eqpt, I agree I would not use
bleach. Alcohol is OK or you could use on of the kitchen/bath cleaners
that come in anti-bacterial version. Also, lysol would work.