Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
RoyJ

Default ATV Plow Plans

Well, your snippy response to someone who suggested buying versus
building could have been tempered with "I work in a fabrication shop,
have access to all the equipment AND shop excess scrap". Makes a big
difference. Most of the hobbist types do NOT have the access, would
have different plans.

SteveC wrote:
"RoyJ" wrote in message

If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a
steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow blade
bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock with a
sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real cost can
be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

I work in a welding/machine shop, so equipment is at my disposal. And we
always have loads of excess metal lying around.
We have a metal roller, so I can get a blade made in a few minutes.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on hand,
value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go ahead
and build it.

Thanks, I think I will try and build it myself!! :-)

As for the ATV plow, I built a 36" blade for my old garden tractor. Used a
section of steel from a discarded 80 gallon water heater. Lower edge was a
peice of angle iron with three rows of hard surfacing bead for a wear
edge. Made 4 pieces of 1/4" stock in an arc to give the blade some
rigidity. Tractor was small enough that I did not need to make the blade
pivot and spring load it like the bigger units. Depending on your use and
ATV weight, you may need to add this feature. Tractor had a convient front
mount plus an existing mower deck lift arm so all that was trivial. An ATV
will need to have all this added. Would I build another for my newer
tractor? See next paragraph:

Go see your ATV dealer with tape measure in hand. Make notes, take
pictures. And while you are there, ask if they have any used or damaged
plow units. $100 for one with a few dings but includes the mount,
undercarraige, and lift mechanism would be a great deal.

SteveC wrote:

really. So you've built one? If I could afford one, wouldn't you think
I'd have one bought already??
My time is free, so that's not an issue. Materials I can get for free or
really cheap.
And it's the satifaction of building yourself. Have you ever built
something?