Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

Default Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

"BOB" wrote in message
Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

I have some 110 volt boxes which hold the Outlets and some are for
Light switches. The problem is when I go to replace the old outlet or
light switch the wires are so short that reconnecting a new outlet or
wire is impossible. The wires literally will not even allow me to get
to the screw without great effort.

So when I go to install the new outlet/light switch some of the wires
either broke.

This section of the house is about 50 years old and it appears these
are the oldest boxes.

Is there a good/safe way to EXTEND those 110 volt wires?
I tried using 12 gauge wires and using a wire nut to extend a piece
but this made it impossible to push all those wires back into the box.

So does anyone have a method to extend those wires?

Thanks,

Try using backfeed type outlets. These are the type where you push the wires
in the back and then tighten the screws on the side like what a GFCI has.
(Not to be confused with the cheaper 'backstab' outlets were the wire are
held only by a spring clip).

If that does not work then you may need to replace boxes. I just pry the old
box off the stud and let it fall into the wall cavity. Then replace the old
box with deep boxes. Even a new standard size box will have more room than
those old boxes. With new boxes, you should have enough room to 'pigtail'
new wire onto the old. Don't be tempted to splice behind or outside of the
box.

Other options would be to move the box up or down a few inches and repair
the wall. Put in a double box, or a single new box at a different location,
maybe in the same wall cavity a few inches away, then splice into the old
box and put a blank cover plate on the old box.

Kevin