Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:37:45 -0500, BOB wrote:

Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

I have some 110 volt boxes which hold the Outlets and some are for
Light switches. The problem is when I go to replace the old outlet or
light switch the wires are so short that reconnecting a new outlet or
wire is impossible. The wires literally will not even allow me to get
to the screw without great effort.

So when I go to install the new outlet/light switch some of the wires
either broke.

This section of the house is about 50 years old and it appears these
are the oldest boxes.

Is there a good/safe way to EXTEND those 110 volt wires?
I tried using 12 gauge wires and using a wire nut to extend a piece
but this made it impossible to push all those wires back into the box.

So does anyone have a method to extend those wires?

Thanks,

I've run into this too, and asked other electricians about what they
would do, and I'll explain what I do.

The majority of electricians answered:

1. They charge their customers for a new wire run, if they have it.
Imagine that.

2. If a customer doesn't have the money, then wire nutting on desired
length of wire to the short wire is done. This short length of wire
( 2 times required length) does not count for box fill if you already
have a properly sized box. But check with your situation, and all
codes.

3. This is what I DO, I butt splice on longer free conductors, with
insulated butt terminals. I find them very clean, secure (if done
correctly), and take up minimal room in the box, verses a wirenut.
Plus the price is what most customers can afford.

Now remember, I only recommended that qualified electricians work on
your equipment, it's not worth the chance of fires, or electricutions.

hth,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com