Posted to alt.electronics
default

Default changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:39:50 -0800, GuitarPsych wrote:

I have a very simple circuit that I run an electric guitar signal
through and I'm thinking of modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V
battery. What modifications do I need to do to the circuit? (I am
obviously a beginner).

If you plan to run your stuff on a power supply the 1.5 volt can be
met with one of the three terminal regulators to step down the voltage
from 9. I think the LM317 outputs something like 1.2 volts with no
adjustment resistors. Goggle for it and the data sheet will tell you
how to connect it and how to calculate the resistor to give the output
voltage you want.

Running it with a 9 volt battery will just waste a lot of power and
end up costing a lot more.

You could make a buck switching supply to lower the voltage
efficiently - but you're still talking about a more expensive battery
cost.

Going the other way, 1.5 to 9, makes more sense if size isn't a big
concern. Particularly if you can use D batteries.

There's a semi-obsolete IC designed to do just that - Part is the
TL496. Designed to take 1.5 or 3 volts and output 9 volts at 20-40
milliamps.

Someone was marketing a kit for the TL496 with all the parts and
circuit board to make a 9 volt battery eliminator.