Posted to misc.consumer.house,misc.consumers.house
Daniel Barrett

Default Help choosing a quiet oven? Are there any?

Has anyone purchased an electric wall oven recently that is QUIET? My
family has been living a suburban nightmare trying to find one. I
will pay $100 cash to the first person who solves this problem for us
as explained below.

First we bought a Jenn-Air JJW9627DDB with convention on the top oven,
thermal on the bottom. The bottom (non-convection) oven fan emitted a
high squealing noise that drove us mad. The fan was replaced twice
with no change. Then the oven was replaced under warranty, but the
replacement had the same noise. (From the fan that cools the
electronic controls.)

We returned the Jenn-Air and bought a Thermador SC272 after listening
to it in the store, where it was acceptably quiet. But when OURS
arrived and was installed at home, it sounded like a jet engine. We
will probably return it.

So clearly, listening to an oven in the store provides NO information
about the true loudness. Neither does Consumer Reports magazine.

We are at our wits end. It is very expensive (in time and money) to
keep buying and returning ovens, waiting for delivery, paying
installers, etc.

I will pay a $100 cash "finders fee" to the first person who
recommends a 27" electric double wall oven that is quiet and currently
available for sale, that we buy and like. Alternatively, if you
recommend some way to make our oven quieter, and we try it and it
works for us, that would also win the prize.

Followups directed to misc.consumerS.house.

--
Dan Barrett