Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default Sony HCD-GX450 laser - update

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message news:...

"tvguy" wrote in message
news
I really don`t think sony is going to fix this for free. They can be
a real pain to try to get something from them. You will need to pay
the shipping on this both ways and they will try to sell you a
reconditioned one and take yours as a trade in. I would sugest to try
to find a repairshop in your area where you can take it in to have it
serviced.

Problem is, and I say this as an authorized Sony servicer, the HCD-GX250
and 450 models are so bad

snip

Update:

It is beginning to appear that cleaning / reseating the front panel
connectors -mainly the big one- may fix these units for their variety of
unusual problems (no power, front LED blinking, tray cycling, no audio,
etc). Seems to have fixed a couple lately - but of course they could still
come back for re-do's. Recommend Caig Red (non-aerosol) - I think it's the
D-100 - for treating the contacts. Blows my mind that new units with new,
really, really tight connectors could have these problems, but there you
are. Requires a major dissassembly to access the connector at the front
panel side.

Mark Z.