Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith

Default Replacing electric water heater filament

No, not insulted - grateful for the help.

I bought a complete unit from B&Q which was identical to the one I removed.
It has the element that heats up and goes into the water itself, then the
screw bit that completes the seal part of which, on top, is the thermostat.
The new one has a safety feature if it overheats by which a button springs
up on the thermostat but this is depressed - I thought that might have been
the problem but appears not.

John.

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:20:51 UTC, "John Smith"
top posted:

Well, I changed the immersion heater with a new one today and it still
would
not heat. I then changed the cable to the spec that you suggested and it
still does not work so now I am assuming it is the electrical timer
switch.

What about the thermostat?

I assume this is the normal sort of immersion heater that screws into
the cylinder. The thermostat (on all the ones I've seen, anyway) slides
down the middle of a tube in the heater, and is connected into the
heater circuit.

a) Did you change the thermostat too?
b) [wild thought, please don't be insulted] Did you change the
thermostat, thinking it was the heater?