Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

Default face mill vs fly cutter

"E. Walter Le Roy" wrote in message
news:0MDQf.1071$o41.293@trnddc06...
I'm sure it's been discussed here before but I missed it. What is the
advantage of using a face mill rather than a fly cutter?
Thanks
Walt

As it was said you can feed faster with the face mill. I just got a used
mill/drill. and I can take some pretty healthy cuts with a 1 1/2" inserted
cutter which uses 3 of the TPG322 inserts. I can justify a face mill because
the cost of each corner on an insert is less than having a cutter sent out
for sharpening. Last time I bought inserts I paid about $3.00 each for them.
If I use one corner on 3 inserts every time I index the insert costs me
$3.00. Also when I can afford to upgrade my mill to either a Bridgeport type
or a number 2 horizontal mill with a vertical attachment my 1 1/2" face mill
will work just fine there.

If I want a real nice finish and my machine isn't very ridged then a light
cut with a fly cutter is the way to go.