Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith

Default Replacing electric water heater filament

Hi,

It looks like the filament in my electric water heater has gone - it must be
20 to 25 years old. Electricity is getting to the switch but, for some
reason, this morning the water was cold and attempts to heat it up now have
proved fruitless.

Is this something I can change myself? I assume it is just a job of
unscrewing the filament - a tad rustry where it connects to the copper
boiler - and fitting a new one? Of course, ensuring the electrical supply is
switched off when I do this?

Where can I buy one of these - B&Q or do I need to go somewhere special? Is
filament the right word? Is there any specific size or power that I need to
bear in mind?

One last point - it looks like it needs a big wrench/spanner? Bigger than
any I have - is there a special kind I need? Can someone recommend one?

Thanks,

John.