Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

Default Boiler Shuts Down

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"John F." wrote in message
The radiatorshave been purged they are not retrofits) are pretty hot
but they don't seem excessively hot; don't know if circulator keeps
running but will try and check that. The thing about the circulators
though is that they are the small water lubricated type. Many years ago I
had these same type and they would fail if they weren't used or run
periodically during no heating months. Attic insul is approx. r-25. The
upstairs is very warm. Thanks.

Circulators do fail and they are about $50 to $70 to replace (for the
parts). One thing that I did not see was if the problem was new or if it
has always been that way. If it is new, I'd suspect poor circulation. If
it has always had lack of heating, I'd suspect poor design of the
baseboard setup. There may be not enough finned sections in each room.

Have been in the house only 2 years. I became vaguely aware of the heat
loss last heating season but can't say I was aware of the frequency of
boiler on/off situation. There are no walls left on which to put finned
sections. As I mentioned in one of my replies there is some 200 feet and
more of heat loop but only about 100 feet of that is actual heat fin. The
rest is insulated piping in the unheated basement. I wonder if this length
of run is too long or does it matter. I'm wondering if cutting into the
current run and adding another zone would solve the problem assuming it's
not a cirulator problem.