Posted to misc.consumers.house
empty

Default easement vs ownership

ameijers wrote:
"empty" wrote in message

Keith Williams wrote:

(snip)

The easement is the only way that we can get out of our lot when the
subdivision was developed. It was not a fix.

They shoulda made it a 'flag' lot- little strip of road front, and long
skinny driveway, with the rest of the lot out back. Wonder how they will
assess you for any road repaving? Have you read your easement? Are you
obligated to split road assessments with the fellow up front?

Personally, if I was going to be there a long time, I'd try to work a deal
with the front guy to split off the driveway and attach it to your parcel,
as long as that didn't put him under the minimum lot size for building.
Land-locked parcels with access easements are a PITA at sale time, and they
scare off a lot of people. Have you verified with front-door neighbor that
he ISN'T being taxed on the driveway? Might not be a bad idea for both of
you to visit assessor, and clarify things. Guy that did the workup for your
place may have screwed up. The back 100' of my yard is a 'casual use'
easement into the overflow area of a graveyard, with about another 20 years
to run. I basically ignore it, but some of the neighbors put pole barns on
their easements, which my reading of the easement paperwork doesn't allow.
(About 5 lots in a row have them.) I don't think I'm paying taxes on it, but
really haven't checked that hard. I think the original easement was a
freebie from the megacorp that bought the graveyard, to score brownie
points, but in the unlikely event I am still alive and here when it runs
out, and they ask for money, I'm gonna tell them 'Mow it yourself'. On the
other hand, since they will never use the land, if they offered it to me for
a token price of a few grand, I might buy it just for how it could improve
the resale in case the next owner does want a pole barn. Sure wish they
hadn't put up that damn cyclone fence along all five lots outlining the
easement area- it keeps the deer out of my back yard, which I was looking
forward to when I bought the place.

aem sends....

I checked my files again last night. I have no easement documents. The
county included the driveway in my lot footage. The driveway is not in
the neighbor's footage in the state/county record. Which means I am
paying the tax for the road.

I maintain the driveway (asphalt). We cut the grass along the driveway
side. The neighbors never step into the driveway. BTW, the driveway
is in the middle of my two front neighboor's lot. It is not clear the
easement is from which neighboor. Or half from each of the two front
neighboors.

Never the less, the builder told us it is an easement. The survey map
indicated that is "Private Ingress/Egress driveway" for us. We are not
worried at all that the easement will going away. The are quite a number
of houses in the subdivison that are like ours.