Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)?

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:56:38 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

I think I met this guy. He goes to garage sales and second hand
stores and buys all the used paint he can find for under a buck a
gallon. Then he mixes it all together, indoor paint, exterior paint,
latex and oil base. Then he charges someone a huge price to paint
their house. He uses the same paint inside or out and the choice of
colors is pretty much limited to dirty gray and dirty brown.
Sometimes his paint jobs have texture, other times not. The texture
is from the oil paint mixed with the latex.

But rest assured, he will offer you at least a 10 year warrantee on
your paint job.

One year from now when the paint starts peeling off your house in
large sheets, you'll call him and his phone number will be
disconnected and his office vacated since he moved on to another town.

Tell your mom to cancel this contract now. If the company refuses and
wants to cause trouble, call your local building inspector and explain
the situation to them. Dont forget to check on this company with the
Better Business Bureau, and file a complaint with them too.