Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:56:38 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

This is bad. Painting is all about preparation, and if you don't do
it right expect a poor job. The surface needs to be cleaned
(powerwash is good), possibly repaired/sanded, primed, then painted.
The primer provides the good adhesion that's needed to prevent
peeling.

Powercash ***CAN*** be good, if it's done from above so water isn't blown
behind the shingles. Even then, it can be a twitchy process. Best to issue
warning when you use the word "powerwash".

Did I type "powercash"??? :-) Jeez....powerWASH.