Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default cast iron rust protection

"Roy" wrote in message

Johnson's paste wax, frequently applied. I broke down and put an A/C in
the garashop late last
summer which certainly makes a difference in rust problems. I live about
30 miles SW of downtown
Houston where the dew point is around 80F half the year.

I still wax my hardware about once a month, maybe just out of habit now,
but why risk it? It
doesn't take much time, and is something constructive to do while
"pottering" about the shop.
Besides, I like the way the wood slides across the tablesaw after a good
wax session.

I have a theory about waxing metal, in that it is similar to seasoning
cast iron cookware. Takes a
while to get all the pores in the metal filled, but when you do, a lot of
the rust issues go away.

When I first started shooting muzzleloaders almost 30 years ago, I used to
have a lot of problems
with rust. I'd detergent clean, scrub, hot water rinse, dry, then oil
with some gun lube or the
other. Then somebody told me about "seasoning" a bore using natural waxes
and lubes. Made sense to
me at the time so I tried it for a while. That while is now more than 25
years. I'm convinced it
works once you get the barrel seasoned properly, and have been using this
method on my
muzzleloaders, table saw, jointer, etc ever since.

So Roy, do you live in Richmond/ Rosenburg?
I am about 15 miles SW of DT Houston.