Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

Default Bathroom fan - how long to leave on?

Steve writes:

How long do you leave the fan on after you take a shower?

About 5 minutes for my small bathroom is all the fan needs to make
things normal again. Then again, the fan never fogs up when it's on,
so it does a pretty good job. I've had other bathrooms where things
didn't work so well.

And is it better to open the bathroom door afterward and let the
steam escape into the rest of the house, or leavethe door closed and
let the fan remove it?

It depends. If your door is cut short enough to actually be letting
air into the room, you could do either and all would be well.

Letting it open while running the fan wouldn't be bad in any case
though, because typically (at least around here) you're running a
humidifier in the house in the winter anyway, an it will just
contribute to the comfort of the house.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/