Posted to alt.home.repair
chris jung

Default Plywood decking thickness

"Ken" wrote in message
How thick should plywood decking be assuming you are using joists 16" on
center?

In my earlier years, perhaps 20 years ago, I worked for a builder who
typically used 5/8 floor decking and 1/2" on the roof and exterior walls.
Now I'm faced with an architect that insists 3/4" on the floors is a must
and 5/8" on the roof and walls is needed.

Does the floor decking depend on the finish flooring. The builder I
worked with would always install wide plank 3/4" hardwood flooring. But
when I mentioned that to the architect, he insisted that I should still
use 3/4" decking under it. His concern was regarding the holding capacity
of the nails for the hardwood flooring and that it would avoid squeaky
floors later.

Our house (a raised ranch) was built in 1967. The floor joists are 16"
apart, the subfloor is 1/2" plywood with 3/4 tongue & groove oak over that.
The floor is squeaky everywhere and you can actually see it flex. In March,
we are having the main hallway and a smaller hallway/foyer floor ripped up
and new 3/4" subfloor and new 3/4 oak put in. It's a pity since the original
oak flooring is very handsome. We can't afford to redo the subfloor &
flooring on the entire house at this time.

If the builder had done it right the first time (put in 3/4" subfloor) we
wouldn't have to through all this expense and hassle now. So my advice is
to go with the 3/4" - you want that subfloor as stiff as possible.

Chris