Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damaged gas meter cover

A certain member of my family has damaged the surface mounted gas meter
cover box mounted on the side of the house reversing a car off the
drive. It's one of those old white composite ones with a drop down door
and the cover is quite badly damged at one corner. I'm pretty sure the
meter inside is undusturbed - at least I can't smell gas! The
backplate still seems securely fastened to the wall.
Can you buy these at a builders merchants (Wickes, B&Q, etc) and fit
these yourself or is there some obligation to contact the meter
provider (British Gas) or the gas supplier (in my case, Powergen).
If, on further inspection, I need to verify the meter/supply is
undamaged who should I call and is there likely to be a charge for
this.
Many thanks.