Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plywood decking thickness

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:30:22 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

How thick should plywood decking be assuming you are using joists 16" on
center?

In my earlier years, perhaps 20 years ago, I worked for a builder who
typically used 5/8 floor decking and 1/2" on the roof and exterior walls.
Now I'm faced with an architect that insists 3/4" on the floors is a must
and 5/8" on the roof and walls is needed.

Does the floor decking depend on the finish flooring. The builder I worked
with would always install wide plank 3/4" hardwood flooring. But when I
mentioned that to the architect, he insisted that I should still use 3/4"
decking under it. His concern was regarding the holding capacity of the
nails for the hardwood flooring and that it would avoid squeaky floors
later.

Any comments?

1/8" is minimum. I always use 3/16" hardboard paneling across 48"
spaced joists. Just be sure to run a strip of duct tape across the
joists every couple feet and be sure the carpeting is tight to support
any extra weight. I have found it satisfactory except the time I
moved a refrigerator and both I and the fridge fell thru into the
basement. I know I should have put more duct tape across the joists
where the fridge goes.