Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default How big is a double garage?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:45:40 -0000, "Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)"
wrote:

Having lost a large chunk of my built-in garage in order to make a bathroom
for a disabled relative, I'm looking at the feasibility of having a
stand-alone garage built - but don't have an infinite amount of space -
quite apart from planning issues with building lines etc.

Are there any established standards - estate agent speak, or whatever - for
what constitutes a "double garage"? My own thoughts are that the inernal
dimensions would need to be at least 18 or 20 feet long by 15 feet wide.
Obviously, I want to make it as big as space and planners permit - but is
there a size below which it wouldn't qualify as a double?

One other factor that you may wish to consider is that there is a
30m^2 floor area limit for construction of a detached garage, below
which Building Regulations do not apply.

--

..andy