Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

Default Metal surface preparation for painting

"Alex" wrote: Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of
lacquer thinner for metal surface preparation before painting? (clip)
If the metal is CLEAN, it should not need any solvent washing prior to
painting I spray paint steel all the time without washing it. Most things
that might interfere with paint adhesion, like wax or oil, would be removed
by either paint or lacquer thinner. Silicones are hard to remove, and I'm
not sure even lacquer thinner can do a good job.