Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Laminate Flooring, Architraves & Beading

"shahmonger" wrote in message

Hello,

Am planning on laying a laminate floor this weekend and in the past I
have just cut around the architraves however I've been told that to get
the best finish, it's worth cutting the base of the architrave and then
sliding the flooring underneath.

It's a real pain and be warned that if your house is a few decades old it
could also be very messy, keep the doors closed to try and prevent filth
going round the house. Remove skirtings to lift them, leaving the correct
gap. Be prepared to do some bits of making good in the plaster and perhaps
repairing skirtings, making new plugs and replacing rusty screws or nails.

But, oh, it's well worth it!

Beading round laminate flooring is something I wouldn't have at any cost,
not only does it look awful (and I'm not normally one to bother about such
things) but it stops some furniture from going up to the skirting, thereby
losing some floorspace.

Make the most of the laminate flooring, do a good job (with proper underlay)
and you'll enjoy it.

Mary