Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Laminate Flooring, Architraves & Beading

Stuart wrote:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:12:23 -0000, "Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)"
wrote:

Yes, don't use beading at all - it's ultra naff!! Do a *proper* job
by removing the skirting boards, and re-fitting (or replacing) them
when the flooring is down.

And if you are removing the skirting why not go all the way and remove
the architraves as well?

Because it's not necessary, and would disturb the decorations. It's not just
the architrave - it's the door frames as well which have to be undercut. You
wouldn't want to remove *them*! Don't forget that the skirting goes back on
a bit higher, thus covering any slight damage to the walls which occurs when
you remove it. The same isn't true for the architraves!

As long as the walls are clear, and accessible for placing and removing
wedges, and for
levering the sections of flooring together, it's no problem to slide the
flooring under small obstacles. I successfully fitted an engineered wooden
floor (similar to laminate to install) in my hall - which has 5 doorways and
a newell post to contend with - using the method I have described.
--
Cheers,
Roger