Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Laminate Flooring, Architraves & Beading

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:12:23 -0000, "Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)"

shahmonger wrote:

Hello,

Am planning on laying a laminate floor this weekend and in the past I
have just cut around the architraves however I've been told that to
get the best finish, it's worth cutting the base of the architrave
and then sliding the flooring underneath. My question is therefore,
what is the best way to cut the architrave? Are there any special
saws for this or do you just risk getting tons of splinters in your
knuckles?!

You need a very sharp, flexible hand saw, with fairly fine teeth. Use a
piece of scrap laminate as a guide, sliding the saw over the top of this bit
of scrap - with one hand keeping the cutting bit flat, and the other hand
pulling and pushing on the handle.

Also, with regards to beading, I've been advised that the best way of
nailing this to the skirting board is to use a nail gun as opposed to
using a small hammer as this way you don't end up denting the beading?
Any advice?

Yes, don't use beading at all - it's ultra naff!! Do a *proper* job by
removing the skirting boards, and re-fitting (or replacing) them when the
flooring is down.

And if you are removing the skirting why not go all the way and remove
the architraves as well
?
Stuart