Stu

Default How much weight can a 3/4" black iron pipe support hanging from its threads?

(Fdmorrison) wrote in message ...
(Stu)

Does anyone know where I can find the tensile strength of .75" iron
pipe hanging from its threads. IOW how much weight may I safely hang
on a .75" pipe screwed into a female thread in a flange secured to the
ceiling.

I don't know what the engineers will say, but I think you have too many
unstated variables to get a meaningful answer.
The pipe itself is mild steel (common name, "black iron').
What's the flange made of? Is it of the common cast iron sort?

Cast steel from HD

What ceiling material is the apparatus being screwed into?

The pipe goes through 2 layers of 3/4 plywood and is then screwed into
an upside down floor flange.

What material and dimension are the screws? n/a

Is it for dead or live loads? A live load of 200 pounds max height 8 feet.

Thanks,

Stu

snip

On the other hand, I've seen some heavy cast iron stuff lag screwed into joists
in older machinery transmission, for ex, the hangers for lineshafting and
countershafting.
Frank Morrison.