Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Tank lifespan?

Mys Terry wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:16:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Mys Terry" wrote in message
news
I have often heard that home heating oil tanks need to be replaced at
a certain age. What I can't figure out is why an indoor tank would
ever need replacement. I can understand an outdoor or buried tank
rusting. I could even imagine condensation in an indoor tank causing
some rust over time, but wouldn't that rust be towards the top? What's
the TRUTH, and why.

This has come up before and some seem to think 25 years is the limit. I
personally know of many tanks that are 50+ years old and never leaked. They
are the original tanks for houses build back in the 1930's, 40's' etc. One
is an outside tank exposed to the elements, but has a coat of paint on it.
There are some environmental factors that may cause leaking, but overall,
they should last for longer than us.

After I posted my query, I did some online research and found that exterior
rust, even in buried tanks is a secondary issue. Internal corrosion is the
killer and it is due to the water that condenses combining with the sulfur and
other components in the oil wreaking havoc. Being inside may actually be worse,
because the year-round warmth may be accellerating the corrosion.

The tank in my primary residence is in the basement and is easily 50 years old.
I check it carefully about once a year, and it seems okay, but a replacement
will only run about $1500, so I figure to replace it as a preventative measure.
If it were to leak, the costs would rise substantially. This gives me an
opportunity to relocate it to a better spot (the wasted space under the stairs)
in the basement. I'll pay a little extra to run the filler and vent to the new
location, but it doesn't really amount to much.

Mys Terry

provincial regularions here required us to replace our tank. it was
deemed over 25 years old yet perhaps older as there was no csa / ulc
stamp on the tank. anyhow, 800.00 later for a replacement tank (if not
replaced the insurance company would terminate the policy) i asked the
installer what the condition of the tank was that was removed. after
his inspection inside / out he informed me that it was as good as the
new one he installed.