Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default What Adhesive To Hold Chair Leg Dowels Back Into Place ?

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have a pretty old wooden chair where the dowel like supports (that go
between the legs) that help hold the legs together have come out of
their holes in the legs.

Very confused over what adhesive I should use when I push them back
into the holes.

Would you suggest an epoxy ?

Or, a "Hide Glue", or one of the Elmer's products, or... ?
Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

I have seen a special material for just that use. As I understand it,
it works by swelling the wood to lock it in place and can be used when you
have a loose joint before it comes apart. You don't need to take it apart.
All I know is I used some on a set of chairs in my kitchen about 12 years
ago (about half of the chairs needed the fix) and they are all still solid
today.

I understand that you should only use the "proper" glue in this case as
other glues will not work nearly as well. Also sanding the surfaces means a
looser fit and the joint demands close tight fits.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit