Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

Default How to stop squeaky furniture

On 31 Jan 2006 10:50:53 -0800, wrote:

Could it be not from the mortise not being deep
enough but from the hardware being pulled, bent, and otherwise
misshapen and stretched? He did rearrange his bedroom all by himself a
few months back and it has been almost unbearable since then. I am
sure he tugged and pulled at the entire bed all at once: headrest,
footrest, side rails, the three LARGE drawers underneath it as well as
the plywood top and the mattress. That could explain the hooks not
fitting tightly...

Thanks for the response!!

Maybe so. That brings up another thought. Instead of deepening the
mortise for the receiving plate, perhaps some all new knockdown
hardware as replacement for the stuff in there. If the existing parts
are in fact damaged, I'm not so sure you could bend them back. And if
you did, the metal has already been weakened.

All in all, this sounds like a warning to not use metal knockdowns.