Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default Veneering both sides of plywood ??

In article ,
"John Eppley" wrote:

Since I am about to start some serious veneering projects (amateur at best)
I would like to understand the pros and cons of the process.

Veneer wouldn't have the same 'pull' as a sheet of plastic (HPL) laminate, but
unbalanced laminating is asking for trouble.
Baltic Birch already has the ability to warp all on it's own, at least the
Russian/Finnish products we get here in Canada, so as a substrate for laminate,
I think I would prefer high density particle board or MDF. Laminating onto
plywood is not a good idea.

Tear tests have shown that high density particle board hangs on to laminate a
lot better than the first little ply of a sheet of plywood...which makes sense
when you think about it. (Of course, the quality of the plywood will make a huge
difference, but why laminate a high quality plywood?) A contact cement joint,
properly done (there are many improper ways) will not easily come apart unless
exposed to high heat or certain solvents. Wilsonart WA3000 PVA will not let go
no-how-noway, but it is a bear to work with. ( 5 minutes open time)
http://www.wilsonart.com/adhesives/t.../techdata.aspx
http://www.wilsonart.com/adhesives/m...nufacture.aspx

Unbalanced (without a second sheet on the opposite side) countertops will warp
unevenly, even though the look of it is minimized when attached to cabinets, I
have seen an unbalanced countertop pull an end-gable beside a dishwasher off the
floor. Changes in humidity wreak havoc on porous materials. Period.

Most laminate manufacturers, such as Formica, Wilsonart (my personal favourite
bunch of people to work with) make a specific material for use as a 'backer',
'balance sheet'. It is basically phenolic impregnated kraft paper, cheap as dirt
and works just like laminate. When applied to the opposite side, in the same way
as the 'good' side, chances of warping are virtually eliminated.

Using a balance sheet also takes away the particle board smell which often
permeates throughout kitchen cabinets (Off-gassing formaldehyde etc.) reducing
the chance you might run into a client with low tolerance for that kinda
irritant.

I have also read that some marquetry/inlay/veneer artists try to chose
substrates which live and breathe like their veneers, such as poplar.

HTH
FWIW

Rob
www.topworks.ca