Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

Default Veneering both sides of plywood ??

"John Eppley" wrote in message
I still do not understand the warping problem.
Of course plastic doesn't warp.
Of course a .025" oak laminate should not affect a 13 ply apple plywood.

As I understand the physics of the problem, applying any new material to a
substrate causes uneven absorption of moisture on one side thus causing
warp, if and only if, the absorption rate is significantly different on
both surfaces. Otherwise, no effect.

If the sandwich is mechanically fastened and also has a protective finish
I fail to understand the basic physical problem since any moisture
absorption is contained and controlled. Again, this is a long term
problem, if any. I can readily understand the possible affect of water
soluble glues being applied liberally to a unstable sandwich. Contact
cement is another story. Now if I were to border this small sandwich with
a hardwood edging I believe the inert forces should provide additional
containment.

Since I am attempting a new (to me) process, I want to learn from the
first hand results experienced by other woodworkers. As a retired
physicist and long term woodworker I have seen many "old wifes tales" come
and go. "never sharpen tools using sandpaper", "never use steel wool on
wood". Additionally, I have visited many websites offering veenering
materials, supplies and advice. They offer contradictory and sometime
confusing advice.

I'm still in a learning mode. Keep it coming.

You will notice the plywood has plies the grain alternating for each layer
..You will also notice that each ply is the same thickness .
so if you apply a veneer to one side then you probably will not have a
problem provides it is the same thickness as the plies and the it is laid
crossgrain and on both sides [keeping the number of plies an odd number] One
other thing you will notice the number of plies is always an odd number.
If you veneer in the same direction as the plywood grain then you will creat
an imbalance in surface stresses causing the panel to move until the
stresses in the combination panel [ply plus veneer] are relieved ...

similarly if only veneer one side the panel becomes imbalances [ie more
plies one side of the center lpy than the other