Posted to rec.woodworking
John Eppley

Default Veneering both sides of plywood ??

I still do not understand the warping problem.
Of course plastic doesn't warp.
Of course a .025" oak laminate should not affect a 13 ply apple plywood.

As I understand the physics of the problem, applying any new material to a
substrate causes uneven absorption of moisture on one side thus causing
warp, if and only if, the absorption rate is significantly different on both
surfaces. Otherwise, no effect.

If the sandwich is mechanically fastened and also has a protective finish I
fail to understand the basic physical problem since any moisture absorption
is contained and controlled. Again, this is a long term problem, if any. I
can readily understand the possible affect of water soluble glues being
applied liberally to a unstable sandwich. Contact cement is another story.
Now if I were to border this small sandwich with a hardwood edging I believe
the inert forces should provide additional containment.

Since I am attempting a new (to me) process, I want to learn from the first
hand results experienced by other woodworkers. As a retired physicist and
long term woodworker I have seen many "old wifes tales" come and go. "never
sharpen tools using sandpaper", "never use steel wool on wood".
Additionally, I have visited many websites offering veenering materials,
supplies and advice. They offer contradictory and sometime confusing advice.

I'm still in a learning mode. Keep it coming.