B Thomas

Default Harbor Freight # 39743-1VGA, looking for inexpensive basic shop

Makes sense. I guess I should wait, save some, increase my budget and
got for the 8"x12" lathe from harbor freight (wt 260lb !). They say it
is stress relaxed. I understand that would mean greater precision. I
dearly hope it will do me good as I learn. While I do want some thing
good , beyond a point I dont want to be payning for brand names and
harbor seems good enough.

BT

On 11 Sep 2003 06:46:52 GMT, MichaelMandavil wrote:
Hello, B. Thomas :-)

The modern formula for a model airplane piston engine is an aluminum piston,
and a chrome plated brass cylinder. The crankcase can be made from aluminum
too. None of these would be a problem for the Mini Multipurpose Machine. The
crank shaft, though, will need to be made out of steel, and here is where you
would run into a problem. Unfortunately, the Mini Multipurpose Machine is
simply not robust enough to be able to turn steel. However, the Minilathe
which Harbor Freight sells, and which weighs three times as much as the Mini
Multipurpose Machine, is capable of turning steel. Also, keep in mind that the
Harbor Freight Minilathe is twice as big as the Sherline, and again weighs
three times as much. You will also be able to drill and mill on the Minilathe,
although you probably will want to get an independent Mill Drill eventually.
You can make a complete piston engine, though, without the need of an
independent mill or drill. And, to top it off, the Minilathe costs less than
the Mini Multipurpose Machine.

Michael