Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default 3 pass vs conventional boilers

wrote in message
ps.com...
I posted awhile back about boilers. I'm still trying to make up my
mind. I am hearing a lot about 3 pass boilers. They are slightly more
efficient and are said to stay that way b/c they are easier to clean.
Are they really a lot better than conventional cast iron boilers? How
long have US manufacturers been making them? Is it really that hard to
keep a conventional boiler clean if you service it regularly or is this
a marketing thing? System 2000 also goes on about how hard
conventional boilers are to keep efficient.

Three and four pass boilers have been the most efficient in industrial
boilers for at least 50 years. It is not really a "new" technology, just
being applied to residential.

Regular boilers need cleaning about every 1000 gallons of oil. Gas can go
for years with minimal maintenance.