View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

Default Plans for a range/shooting box?

Google is my friend, but turns out there is not much out there in this case.

Anybody here made their own shooting box? I want to make one using traditional woodworking
materials and techniques, and am looking for some ideas. I currently use a box with a lift out tray
to carry everything but the shooting irons themselves, and want something a bit larger and well,
fancier - a bragging piece if you will. I primarily shoot muzzleloaders in primitive shoots, so
prefer a design/materials that could fit into the 1750 - 1840 era.

I'm looking for ideas, pictures or even a plan someone has drawn up for a box with a drawer or two
to hold small stuff, a large area to hold large items like powder cans and other large items. Would
also like a cradle for cleaning at the end of the day. My current thoughts tend toward modifying
the design of a small machinist style toolbox

Having said all that, I am also interested in building a range box or two for cartridge firearms,
both long and short. My current cartridge range attire consists of a couple of ammo cans and
individual hard/soft cases. I'd like to be able to mount a spotting scope for long guns (although
if my eyes get worse, might need them for handguns eventually), tote 2-4 pistols, an afternoon's
worth of ammo, shooting glasses, muffs, hold various small parts and cleaning supplies, etc. Might
need wheels and a small engine for propulsion

Emails welcome, but note that the email address is munged, but shouldn't be difficult to figure out.
Pics or plans could be posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking so others looking for ideas could
benefit too.

Much obliged for any suggestions or help.

Regards,
Roy