Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default upvc windows in conservation area.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"legin" typed

Hi all, looking to put new windows in a new build that is in a recently
designated conser vation area. Local conservation officer has stated
that he is looking for timber windows. Given the sash style upvc ones
that are available can he insist on this as I am looking for low
maintenance. I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference
unless they got close up. Annoying factor is that only one of the
neighbouring six houses has the original timber windows. 4 are upvc and
one is aluminium.

Any views greately appreciated.

If you have the vaguest interest in buildings at all then plastic
windows can be spotted from half a mile! They may be low (no)
maintenance but they are also highly obsolescent and will need
replacing in from 5 to max 20 years. Lots of studies show that trad
joinery is cheaper and lower maintenance than plastic, in the longer
term. Higher initial cost but lower cost overall over time. Also adds
to house value: estate agents "retaining original features" means
higher value.
Plastic windows are also an environmental disaster - not only spoiling
the built environment but also using oil reserves and creating a waste
disposal problem due to being unrecycleable and short life.
The more conservation areas the better for all of us!

cheers
Jacob