Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

Default Fresh air intake requirements for a gas water heater?

On 19 Jan 2006 06:16:20 -0800, wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. I'll call the energy company to confirm
whether it is needed or not (my hot water tank is a rental). Last
night I spoke to a few friends and family members living in relatively
new houses, and none of them had a vent specifically for their hot
water tanks, so it may not be needed at all.

Of all the houses we have owned or rented in six states we have never
had a separate air intake for our gas water heaters. Typically, the
heater is in the garage. Sometimes it is inside the house, like where
we live now. The heater just draws its air from the house or garage.
I suppose if it was in a closet with a sealed door, you might need a
vent.