Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default galvanized water pipes, warning signs?

they will be a problem sooner or later subject to their age and your
local water properties. for a perfect answer hire a plumber to replace
the main shutoff in the basement and have a look at the pipes. the
accumulation is most significant at elbows and reducer fittings and
shutoffs. in buffalo ny we have nice lake erie drinking water and no
softener required, no odd minerals or smells in the water. our 1910
rental property double house that was purchased in 1974 had all
galvanized pipes that had the problem of significantly reduced
waterflow with a couple of minor drips around the basement. back then
many had to be replaced as they become completely blocked. a few are
still in use. they fill up the interior pipe diameter to smaller than a
pencil diameter.
also: if copper is connected directly the galvanic action begins and
corrosion begins at the connection where a dielectric coupling should
have been used.
a 1955 house in south buffalo we bought has copper plumbing from when
it was built.
let us know how the gallons per minute vary between the basement
washtub hot and cold and the bathtub upstairs hot and cold. take a
water pressure meter along. check with the neighbors and the city about
water pipes and construction dates.

more reading of messages about galvanized water pipes at:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...rch+this+group